Friday, July 27, 2018

Beat Afternoon, Victorville. by Michael Dwayne Smith



Gimme a quarter, can ya?
says Joseph the dim
cross-eyed panhandler
but all I have today is a ten spot
as I turn the corner at 7th street,
so Joseph gets a free
smile and a high-five
while half a block
north two shirtless, tatted,
exquisitely
pissed-off vatos
exchange pleasantries,
and when one wheels out a tire iron
I slip through
the whoosh of the auto-slide door,
into the familiar chill
of the Miss Deed Liquor Store.
I ditch down the long
west wall aisle to where
all the glorious beer and ale gets
cooled out.
Holding a quart of Schlitz
to my brow
generates my Zen glow, permeates
my forehead and spreads
down the neck, washing
my overworked conscience clean.
I tote the icy bottle
to the counter,
trade President Hamilton
for brewski and a half-pint of
Yukon Jack.
On the street back to my
crippled Airstream
at the Count Your Losses
Trailer Park
I sing, Oh sweet
heroic night, the poetry
I’m gonna feel
through my broken window
of sky and dying light!








Michael Dwayne Smith lives near a Mojave Desert ghost town with his family and rescued animals. His most recent book isRoadside Epiphanies (Cholla Needles Press, 2017). Nominated multiple times for the Pushcart Prize and Best of the Net, his work haunts many literary houses--including The Cortland Review, New World Writing, Star 82 Review, Blue Fifth Review, Skidrow Penthouse, Word Riot, Rat's Ass Review, Gravel, San Pedro River Review--and has been widely anthologized. When not writing or teaching, he edits Mojave River Press & Review.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Reflection By Jake St. John

I have  a fear  of bridges  maybe  that's why  I've burned  so many. Jake St. John  lives in the woods on the edge of the Salmon Riv...