Sunday, September 2, 2018

And If That Mockingbird Don't Sing. by Juliet Cook

And If That Mockingbird Don't Sing

That's why I let him spend the night, I tell her,
because I don't want him to drive drunk.
But I lie.
I wanted him to
spend the night.

But I lie to myself too,
because I don't know
what I really want until
it is too late.

Sometimes I wake up
and realize I've made the wrong choice
again and another sheet is stained.
I don't say a word but regret
my own unstable choices.

All I know is that
marital bliss doesn't really exist.
I don't want to be a vulture's chick.
Eaten alive, my own brain split,
spit out under a stupid stop sign.


Maybe I was drawn to the dark
fairy tale hearts when I was
a girl, but not anymore.
I don't want another
clichéd diamond ring.

That doesn't mean
I don't want him
to sing to me, but
that doesn't mean
I think this song will last.





Juliet Cook is a grotesque glitter witch medusa hybrid brimming with black, grey, silver, purple, and dark red explosions. She is drawn to poetry, abstract visual art, and other forms of expression. Her poetry has appeared in a peculiar multitude of literary publications. You can find out more atwww.JulietCook.weebly.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Spirited Away By Ken Gierke

No wet blanket, it kept her dry. Bottle or can, didn’t matter. Kept her warm. Inside. Where it matters. Until it didn’t let her forget what ...