Monday, September 24, 2018

NEVER LAND. by Mick Rose

Fiction is my passion
I rarely write in verse
But one dark night
I felt compelled
in this medium to converse
Took great strength
to coax these words
so they would dance
upon their stage
But now they look
so lonely ...
as they lie there
on
the
page ...

NEVER LAND

Never say Never –
so You say ….
But in response
I answer “Nay” …

For in all the days
that I’ve known You …
I have Never
Ever
been able to …

Banish the sound
of your voice
which rings
between my ears …

Like a song
heard on the radio –
that hasn’t aired in years …

Notes spring from depths
unconscious
and with Volition
all their Own
play on and on –
and
on and on
and on
and on
and ON ….

While never, Dear, in any
of these many
days long-spent …
did I taste the Lips
that Taunt me –
though Strong
I hold their scent.

Like seasoned fruit
upon the vine –
with sweet Siren’s song
they call me ….

But always hanging –
out
of
reach –
so hopeless-
ly
beyond me           

Never –
ever –
has your Head –
lay soft upon my pillow …

as I held you close
and watched you sleep …
till sweet night became the morrow.

Nor Never have WE
both stepped the Depths
              that only
                Lovers can Descend

Or climbed the Heights – to which they soar – and above the clouds Ascend ...

Never could I
constrain my heart –
        from leaping –
in your sight

Nor catch IT … still …

NOW watch IT fall –

so
qui-
ck-
ly
in its plight.

Never Dear
have I erased …
The Sacred Moments
that we’ve shared –

Nor-loosed-from-me
the-fettered-pain –
of Moments
never dared ….

I tell
“my-self”
that I AM strong …
when in Truth,
I know I’m weak …

And wonder –
    Why?
These words
I write …
and of these heart-aches
I do speak.

For I con-
demned these thoughts
to DARKNESS.
But still …
they seek the Light …

And like a specter
they do haunt me –
especial-
eeeeeeeeeee
at Night ….

Because
at home
“your chair”
sits empty ….
It’s where
I hang my coat.

While the TIME
when last
you sat there
seems close – yet so remote ….

So DO NOT
   speak
to me of hope –
like some
elusive dream …

for Reality
clings Harsh to me
and with these cruelties
I must cope.

In all my Days
upon this Earth
I’ll never meet
another You.

By Chance you came …
but Fate stays cool –
for the Choice
remains with You.

Some “Wise Men” say
that given Time
that Time will heal
all wounds ….

Should Time prove wrong …
in time
I’ll say –
In-all-my-fucked-up-days NO NEVER







A hack musician and photographer, Mick Rose pens fiction and haiku while wandering the United States in a quest for the perfect pizza. His work has sullied the pages of kind but crazy online mags like compelling HST. And also Under The Bleachers—more fondly known as The Frat. This fucking poem “Never Land” was penned in 2002 … and helped to banish some demons.

Meanwhile, Mick’s 5,000 word suspense story, “The Friend Request” in The Anthology of Human Thought will lustily hit the marketplace sometime this December. And his haiku should soon appear in the poetry collection Yearnings.

Wanna say, “Hello?” You can visit him on Facebook:

1 comment:

  1. For words that “took great strength to coax,” they certainly flow effortlessly. Love this piece.

    ReplyDelete

-The Self-Righteous Sermon- By Nick Wentzel

Jazz guitar spills from the bar on the first room temperature night of the open mic.  Porch lights glow like artificial stars and a shameles...