Saturday, October 27, 2018

I Used to Be Someone's Favorite Eclipse. by Daniel Crocker




before
the real darkness came
like a long, labored wink

Before the dragon ate the sun
I used to be someone's favorite
tragedy

Then the real darkness came
I see it in my cup of morning coffee
I see it in my pupil
I feel it burrowing holes
into me

I'm paranoid again
on the downside of mania

I hear it in her voice
when she asks if I
can just please
get out of bed

Before the real darkness came
I used to be someone's favorite
burning sun

brighter than first love
brighter than a single fish
scale alone on a dock

I won't let it worry me
It'll pass until the sky aligns just right
again, even then

my wife never got that beautiful
diamond ring she wanted, but
in consultation

my pills look like white moons.







Daniel Crocker's work has appeared in The Los Angeles Review, Hobart, Big Muddy, New World Writing, Stirring, Juked, The Chiron Review, The Mas Tequila Reviewand over 100 others. His books includeLike a Fish (full length) and The One Where I Ruin Your Childhood (e-chap with thousands of downloads) both from Sundress Publications. Green Bean Press published several of his books in the '90s and early 2000s. These include People Everyday and Other Poems, Long Live the 2 of Spades, the novel The Cornstalk Manand the short story collection Do Not Look Directly Into Me. He has also published several chapbooks through various presses. His newest full length collection of poetry, Shit House Rat, was published by Spartan Press in September of 2017. He was the first winner of the Gerald Locklin Prize in poetry. He is the editor ofThe Cape Rock (Southeast Missouri State University) and the co-editor of Trailer Park Quarterly. He's also the host of the podcast, Sanesplaining, about poetry, mental illness and nerd stuff. He is a bipolar, bisexual Gemini living the cliché.

No comments:

Post a Comment

On Tuesday There Was a Point When Bourbon Seemed Like a Good Breakfast Food By jim bourey

That was when morning newscasters started their phony emoting about the cargo ship disaster at the Key Bridge.  The day before, it was more ...