Wednesday, August 7, 2019

A BARTENDER’S DUTY by Brian Rihlmann

After several knocks
I opened the stall door
and there she sat,
folded in half and snoring,
head on her knees,
jeans and panties
pulled down to her ankles,
oblivious to the gift
her boyfriend had left
after unsuccessfully trying
to wake her:

a single red rose
in a vase at her feet.

From behind the bar
I'd seen her stagger
into the bathroom.
He'd run to the store
after asking if I'd watch her
while he was gone.

She was a working girl
he'd rescued from one of the brothels,
and they were getting married soon,
but he was uncertain...

He'd returned proudly
with the flower,
asked where she was,
and I pointed.

A few minutes later
he'd walked out,
said she'll probably
come around soon,
tell her I'm at that bar
across the street.

He'd gone out the door,
and here I stood,
in a women's bathroom stall,
me and the shadow
between her thighs,
and the rose,
and several petals
it had dropped
on the dirty tile floor.

I sighed, bent down,
picked up the vase
with one hand,
touched her shoulder
with the other,
and gently shook her
until she stirred




Brian Rihlmann was born in NJ, and currently lives in Reno, NV. He writes mostly semi autobiographical, confessional free verse, much of it on the so-called "grittier" side.  Folk poetry...for folks.  He has been published in Constellate Magazine, Poppy Road Review, and has an upcoming piece in The American Journal Of Poetry.

2 comments:

  1. Very tender poem. Kindness can show itself in the darkest of corners. Very moving Brian.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome words and narration of this poem my dear brother. I like how they flow and the impact of the message. They are very inspiring and interesting. Your descriptive excellence resonates with vivid images of a girl friend and boy friend who are supposed to be in love. Have an awesome day and blessings always!

    ReplyDelete

Say something By Joshua Knickerbocker

Sometimes  I share a room With people Who've forgotten How the sharpness Of voice can cut Now, they're  Eroded smooth Easy to pick u...