Tuesday, October 29, 2019

Texting With my College Roommate after 40 years by Greg Clary


Ricci: The Bible says we have to bless each other so we can live in love. So, I’m sending you this message. Today is a day of blessing! I bless you. Your heart. Your health. Your home. Your life. In the name of Jesus.

Me:  You going to church now?

Ricci: Yes, I do go to church. Don’t you go?

Me: No

Ricci: I will pray for you

Me: Good. I need the prayer and you need the practice.

Ricci: Bless you! Do you believe in anything?

Me: It’s all a mystery to me. I know I don’t go for that fundamentalism stuff I was raised on. You still indulge?

Ricci: I drink a beer or two.

Me: Ok. You still burn one?

Ricci: Sometimes

Me: Ok. Sounds like you aren’t a fundamentalist, either.

Ricci: Oh, I forgot. You’re a Democrat

Me: And you’re not. I should have known back when you were ordering all of those Brandy Alexanders. Do you believe in science?

Ricci: I believe in the Son, the Father, and the Holy Ghost

Me: Ok. But, do you believe in science?

Ricci: No!

Me: What do you do when you are sick? Do you take any meds? How are you communicating with me right now without science?

Ricci: I believe that Jesus died on the cross for your sins and mine. Do you believe in that?

Me: Ok. Does that mean you can’t believe in science?

Ricci: Some of it. But, I believe in Jesus. Don’t you?

Me: Some of it

Ricci: There you go!






Greg Clary is Professor Emeritus of Rehab and Human Services at Clarion University, Clarion Pa.
His poems have appeared in The Watershed Journal and North/South Appalachia.
His photographs have been published in The Sun Magazine, Looking at Appalachia, and The Watershed Journal.
He resides in Sligo, Pennsylvania and is a Son of Turkey Creek, West Virginia




1 comment:

-The Self-Righteous Sermon- By Nick Wentzel

Jazz guitar spills from the bar on the first room temperature night of the open mic.  Porch lights glow like artificial stars and a shameles...