Wednesday, September 29, 2021

TIGER’S MASK By MICHAEL MINASSIAN

 

In the old photo, I am standing

in the doorway, between

the kitchen and my bedroom.


The print is slightly out of focus,

but it is plainly me,

wearing jeans and a plain white t-shirt.


On my face is a yellow and black mask

with cut-outs for eyes;

I gaze out from somewhere far away.


At least, that is how I remember it – 

placing the camera on a tripod

then setting the self-timer.


Feeling the sheer pleasure

of slipping on the mask— 

the cool touch against my cheek.


The tiger’s skin, the breath of the jungle

the sense of waiting, hunger;

the camera’s click.


The motion of the opening door;

the look of surprise, 

then fear on your face.





MICHAEL MINASSIAN is a Contributing Editor for Verse-Virtual, an online poetry journal. His chapbooks include poetry: The Arboriculturist and photography: Around the Bend. His poetry collections Time is Not a River, Morning Calm, and A Matter of Timing are all available on Amazon. For more information: https://michaelminassian.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

17 years on the job By John Grochalski

rivers of shit flooding the kitchen   rivers of dirty water to drink   madmen screaming in the bathroom   rivers of madmen jerking off to sc...