Monday, March 7, 2022

THE ROYAL OAK by Michael Minassian

The last time I had a drink at the Royal Oak,
I saw an old friend sitting alone at the bar,
her hair pulled back in a short pony tail.

At first, I didn’t recognize her:
ten years out of high school
carrying a few extra pounds,
but without the adolescent slouch
we all wore navigating our way out 
of puberty and four years of hell.

When I said hello, she smiled 
and asked me why it took 
so long to move to the next stool.
She said she’d been away 
for a few years, but wouldn’t say where.

We decided to have one more drink together:
A rum and coke, I said, for old time’s sake,
our favorite drink back in the day.
We watched the bartender fix the drinks
and add a wedge of lime to each of our glasses.
Remember those girls, the cheerleader clique,
how mean they were, she whispered.
I nodded, remembering rumors
swirling around her our senior year.

After finishing our drinks,
we ended up in the back seat
of her car having sex.
That’s what I wanted to write, 
but it’s not what happened at all—
I never saw her again,
and the phone number 
she gave me didn’t work.

Surprised when mail arrived at my house
every few months signed 
with her distinctive scrawl;
her letters heavy with punctuation,
my memories like peeling paint
on the sign outside the bar.



MICHAEL MINASSIAN is a Contributing Editor for Verse-Virtual, an online poetry journal. His chapbooks include poetry: The Arboriculturist and photography: Around the Bend. His poetry collections Time is Not a River, Morning Calm, and A Matter of Timing are all available on Amazon. A new chapbook, Jack Pays a Visit, is due out in early 2022. For more information: https://michaelminassian.com



No comments:

Post a Comment

Shot by Susan Isla Tepper

I stopped reading your face  and addressing your silence.    Went to the woods and shot  wherever leaves moved. Down one path to the next le...