Tuesday, June 14, 2022

Poetry by Jack Phillips Lowe

APPLE-POLISHING RAG

It’s 1:30AM on Tuesday.
I have a job interview
scheduled for today.
But I don’t want to go.

The job is dull and dirty.
It will not offer me 
enough payroll hours,
a wage equal to
my years of experience
or satisfaction of any kind. 

It will offer me 
a weekly paycheck---
the dreamcatcher 
that I lack right now. 
Still, I resist. 

Why am I up
playing Bukowski,
sucking on a bottle 
of bone-dry red from 
Les Vineyards de Walmart
and zoning out to a rerun 
of Cannon from 1974? 

I’m tired; bed is calling. 
I don’t care for red wine
or fat-assed detectives 
wearing fat ties and fat lapels.
Yet here I sit,
drinking and staring.

My lone explanation?
It’s my way of telling them,


through clenched teeth:
“You don’t own me.
I’m my own man. 
Nobody. Owns. Me.”

Later that morning though,
my own man shows up
for the interview--- 
on time---in spite of 
a razor-edged hangover,
smiling and waving 
his apple-polishing rag.



SINCEREST REGRET


Kirby stands at the sink, 
looking out the kitchen window
of the house he’s lived in
for fifty-two years.

In days, necessity 
will lead him out of there,
by the nose, forever. 
“Assisted living,” his doctor says.
“The next exciting chapter of life,”
his daughter says. 

In addition to leaving, 
something else is troubling him.
Kirby flips through 
the pages of his memory
and there it is. 
“What,” he asks himself, 
“is my sincerest regret?”

The emotion and simplicity 
of the answer surprise him. 
“The birds, to whom I feed
bread and seed every day---
cardinals, blue jays,
sparrows and doves---
will never forgive me
for my disappearance.”


RICH & RARE


Tonight, I sit
in the kitchen,
running a race---
shots of caramel-
flavored Canadian whiskey
chased by 
Miller High Life.

I’ve been prescribed 
three different drugs
to treat depression 
and social anxiety---
state-of-the-art 
balms to soothe
ancient sores. 

None of those 
smooths me out
like this bottle
of Rich & Rare,
rescued from oblivion---
the clearance aisle
of my local grocery
for $7.19. 

What Big Pharma
carpet bomb can 
invoke childhood memories 
of sweet candy apples
eaten around a
flickering autumn bonfire,
as I perch here
baking in a 
southern Illinois summer?


  



Jack Phillips Lowe was born and raised in Chicago. Currently, he is tax-exiled to Edwardsville, IL, a suburb of St. Louis. Lowe has contributed poems to Poetry Super Highway, Cajun Mutt Press and Two Drops of Ink, among other outlets. His most recent book, Flashbulb Danger (Middle Island Press, 2018), is available on Amazon. 





  







No comments:

Post a Comment

Pentimento By Andrea Moore Johnson

The anticipation created anxiety or perhaps the unknown resulted in fear the outcomes so uncertain immediate and unfolding long after I am n...