Friday, March 31, 2023

The Only Woman in an Outback Bar By B. Lynne Zika


Summers were brutal. High desert

be damned, we still shivered under

mountains of blankets in winter

and would have torn off our clothes in summer

but for the skin-searing sun. Clearly,

a beer was in order.


Only thing within 20 miles

was a pool hall combo with enough windows 

to stave off the usual dark.

We took a table in the back.

The clink of beer bottles echoed cue tips

tapping balls, that is,

until someone slammed the last one

corner pocket.

Time for another round.


While the barkeep lined ’em up,

the boys turned their eyes on me.

I watched them sweep me head to foot

or foot to head, depending on proclivities,

but all came to rest in predictable places.

They knew intent was shining through,

that love light in their eyes a horse laugh.

I drew myself up.


I stared back.


Not a blow-for-blow detail-including insult.

My look was simple. No.


One by one, the boys backed down.

My Miller High Life was tasting mighty sweet.








B. Lynne Zika’s photography, nonfiction, and poetry have appeared in numerous literary and consumer publications. 2022 publications include Delta Poetry Review, Backchannels, Poesy, Suburban Witchcraft, and The Dead Mule School of Southern Literature. In addition to editing poetry and nonfiction, she worked as a closed-captioning editor for the deaf and hard-of-hearing. Awards include: Pacificus Foundation Literary Award in short fiction, Little Sister Award and Moon Prize in poetry, and Viewbug 2020 and 2021Top Creator Awards in photography. Website: https://artsawry.com/.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Drunk on a Wednesday By Richard LeDue

The melting snow sings with its dripping, but I can't decide what the song is about, death or life? Which sort of reminds me of sitting ...