Wednesday, June 14, 2023

Hair by Laura Stamps

She selects a postcard. A super-cute one. You know. From Hobby Lobby. Bought them last week. Really cute. These postcards. Loves that store. She does. “Dear Elaine,” she writes. “So this morning. Driving down Tucker Road. We stop at the traffic light. Me and Holly. And then, and then. An empty soda can shoots out the window. The car in front of us. That car. Out its window. Like a missal. That can. Lands in the bushes. In front of Walgreens. And then, and then. A big clump of hair. Long and curly. Brown hair. Shoots out the window. I kid you not. Lands on the sidewalk. It does. And then, and then. The light turns green. And the car drives away. What? What? I look at Holly. She looks at me. I mean. Who rips out her hair if she doesn’t like her soda? Tosses it out the window. Her hair. And the soda can. That too. Geez. Only in the city. Right? Holly looks at me. I look at her. She barks in response. Holly. She can read my mind. Did you know that? It’s true. Such a good girl. She is.”    





Laura Stamps is the author of 51 novels, novellas, short story collections, and poetry books. Most recently: “The Good Dog” (Prolific Pulse Press 2023) and “Addicted to Dog Magazines” (Impspired, 2023). Recipient of 7 Pushcart Prize nominations. Lover of feral cats, Chihuahuas, and Yorkies (crazy, I know, but there you have it). www.LauraStampsFiction.blogspot.com   

1 comment:

Drunk on a Wednesday By Richard LeDue

The melting snow sings with its dripping, but I can't decide what the song is about, death or life? Which sort of reminds me of sitting ...