Thursday, July 20, 2023

Liar, Liar by Laura Stamps

You know how it is. Everyone’s 
always telling you. That you 
need to expand your universe. 
You know. That it’s a good thing. 
To get out there. To meet new 
people. Widen your circle of 
friends. Experience what life 
has to offer. All of it. All. 
Whatever. So I did. I made 
new friends. I expanded my 
universe. My small life. I went 
places. I did things. New things. 
With new people. And you 
know what? It’s exhausting! 
It is. And stressful. That too. 
But I learned. My small life. 
My few friends. My little 
Chihuahua (such a good girl!) 
My job. My marriage. It’s 
enough. That’s what I learned. 
And those people. The ones 
who say bigger lives are 
better? Yeah. Those people. 
Liars. That’s what they are. 
I mean. My days are already 
full. Too full. Why did I listen 
to them? Why? Those people. 
The experts. Geez. What was 
I thinking? What? Tell me. 
Does anyone know? I don’t.




 Laura Stamps is the author of over 50 novels and poetry collections. Most recently: “The Good Dog” (Prolific Pulse Press 2023) and “Addicted to Dog Magazines” (Impspired, 2023). Recipient of a Pulitzer Prize nomination and 7 Pushcart Prize nominations. Lover of feral cats, Chihuahuas, and Yorkies. www.LauraStampsFiction.blogspot.com   

2 comments:

My Old Self By Dan Provost

What I wouldn’t give to have us sitting in a bar again at 9:00 AM—Telling lies to one another, far from God.   Dan Provost's poetry has ...