Sunday, July 16, 2023

One More Saturday Night on the eve of my birthday By Jake St. John


The clock ticks 
towards dawn
like the heels 
of the warden
echoing 
off the cold floor
of death row

it'll drive some
right over
the edge
but at this age 
it's all just noise
and I turn on the radio
to avoid the inevitable 

I'm not flying 
any white flags 
tonight
as the hours
pass like
exit signs
into the night
I'll carry on
and see this 
to the end

 



Jake St. John lives in the woods on the edge of the Salmon River. He is the author of several collections of poetry including Ring of Fog (Holy and Intoxicated Publications, 2022), Night Full of Diamonds (Whiskey City Press, 2021), and Lost City Highway (A Jabber Publication, 2019). He is the editor of Elephant and is considered an original member of the New London School of poetry. His poems have appeared in print and online journals around the world




No comments:

Post a Comment

My Old Self By Dan Provost

What I wouldn’t give to have us sitting in a bar again at 9:00 AM—Telling lies to one another, far from God.   Dan Provost's poetry has ...