Friday, November 17, 2023

Drinking too much by George Gad Economou

“why do you drink so much?” Christine
asked when she came home after a night-out on town
with her friends and found me lying on
the couch, cuddling a half-empty fifth of
Four Roses. “I haven’t drunk that much,” I protested, my gaze
glued on the glowing TV-screen and the CZW bloodbath match.
“there’s an empty bottle on the floor, and several cans of beer.”
“I’m watching wrestling, I need to maintain the glow of libation.”
“that’s bullshit.”
“fine.” with a groan of exasperation, I paused the show and sat up. “I
drink to forget and to remember; I drink to feel alive; I drink to get
drunk; I drink for I constantly yearn for elation of the soul and ecstasy of
the mind. when drunk, I’m at my
best; I think the best thoughts, I write the best poems I can, I make
the best love, I trod between the fine line of life and death with the balance of
an Olympic gymnast.”
“you’re drunk,” was her plain comment to my fantastical rebuttal and went to
the bathroom.
“that, I am,” I concurred and laid back; took a healthy gulp out
of the bottle and resumed the show. she came out of
the bathroom, rolled her eyes, then laid down next to
me, throwing both her arm and leg around me. I drank, kissed her
on the forehead, and watched the rest of
the show while slept with her head resting on
my shoulder. perhaps, if I hadn’t drunk so much, she’d still
be around; on the other hand, if I didn’t drink, she’d never
have fallen in love with me in the first place.




Currently residing in Greece, George Gad Economou has a Master’s degree in Philosophy of Science and is the author of Letters to S. (Storylandia), Bourbon Bottles and Broken Beds (Adelaide Books), and Of the Riverside (Anxiety Press). His words have also appeared, amongst other places, in Spillwords Press, Ariel Chart, Cajun Mutt Press, Fixator Press, Outcast Press, The Piker Press, The Edge of Humanity Magazine, The Rye Whiskey Review, and Modern Drunkard Magazine.



No comments:

Post a Comment

My Old Self By Dan Provost

What I wouldn’t give to have us sitting in a bar again at 9:00 AM—Telling lies to one another, far from God.   Dan Provost's poetry has ...