Friday, November 24, 2023

There It Sat By Kevin M. Hibshman


Top shelf and gleaming, speckled with light that hurt my eyes.

Mind's gate open, swinging madly.

I stretched all the way up from the inside with clammy digits that wouldn't cling.

I was standing, wind blowing holes through me, on a craggy shore.

I had to find a way, the elevation I have always craved, mocking me now.

We traverse amid rough tundra.

We seek to cut a swath like the brave.

I left him sleeping soundly in front of the television, limbs flayed in a sacrificial pose.

I had to vanish, to abandon a long held outpost.

It was closing in all around us, that invisible threat.

He did not want to believe it but there it was.

Months later, still a faint light crept in, a warning I wished to ignore.

I had grown older, pale in the light of reason and felt obscure.

Part of the hillside was completely scorched.

We pray in desperation, when seemingly nothing is left.

If I could only convince the gods to bargain once again.





Kevin M. Hibshman has had poems published in many journals and magazines world wide.In addition, he has edited his poetry zine, Fearless, since 1990 and is the author of sixteen chapbooks including Love Sex Death Dreams (Green Bean Press, 2000) and Incessant Shining (Alternating Current, 2011).

His current book Cease To Destroy from Whiskey City Press is currently available on Amazon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Drunk on a Wednesday By Richard LeDue

The melting snow sings with its dripping, but I can't decide what the song is about, death or life? Which sort of reminds me of sitting ...