Wednesday, January 31, 2024

Goodbye Mr Gargoyle By Nick Gerrard

A joker, nun or jester standing tall amongst beer bellies, navies or studded youth

An original amongst men he never let his artistic aspirations fester.

Standing out from a crowd, being a face first there.

Together we robbed safes, cars and pickled jars and sold old furniture and rented our rooms for beer.

You dared step wherever was forbidden.

And you made me laugh so much and there are stories that must remain forever hidden

Your sense of style was like no one else, you are in the book of new romantics, first before Steve strange.

I was happy you found love at last and spent your last years so happy. Even though the habit you wore was no longer a nun’s

You were cooler then the coolest guys. You shunned fashion and fame cuss you disliked the shoes.

I giggled and lied with you, I fought with you, we tricked and treated, did good and cheated.

We ran from cops, we pilfered shops, we went first class and went on the lash

In dingy Irish pubs in Digbeth to selling t shirts in Camden, it was all a gas.

You were a one in a million, my mate, my companion. 

You stood out and dared to be different. And I’ll remember super gluing the locks to stop the city and trashing a Rolls Royce just cuss it was there.

And now you are gone my mate. My books are full of you. My life is fuller because I knew you.

I loved you back then and I love you still. I am proud of you and miss you. Good bye and stay free

My friend 

A. Gargoyle still written on the envelope of the dole cheque.





Nick writes Gritty realism or social realism or as he likes to say 'Working-class kitchen sink drama! ‘ His short stories, flash, poetry and essays have appeared in various magazines and books in print and online. Nick has five books published available on Amazon and elsewhere. His short novel out last year, Punk Novelette is all about a group of friends growing up with punk in the 70s in the UK and the effect the movement had on their lives. His latest short story collection is Called Struggle and Strife; fifteen short stories covering the political and personal struggles of today, yesterday, and the future. Stories of casual workers, holocaust survivors, refugees, slum dwellers, and trade unionists. Tales of protests and fight-backs against oppression, and the daily battles of ordinary people. https://nickgerrardauthor.wixsite.com/books

No comments:

Post a Comment

Drunk on a Wednesday By Richard LeDue

The melting snow sings with its dripping, but I can't decide what the song is about, death or life? Which sort of reminds me of sitting ...