Thursday, February 21, 2019

Good Luck for C. McD. by Michael Dwayne Smith



The only advice worth taking is of course
the advice in this poem. Two urges and two

stories to tell here. When first I began in
earnest with poetry, I asked any published

willing soul to read and react to my work.
It shook out this way: those who were eager

tended to be those whose work I admired
less, and they mostly said poems should be

more like their own; those who deflected
or refused or ignored were those whose work

was of the higher order. If they said anything,
it was Keep Writing & Good Luck. These

poets never pointed to their accomplishment
or referred to themselves in third person,

nor did they even imply looking outside
myself for answers to any question. But I’m

only human and still sometimes ask. I save
myself by only asking Catfish now, who is

a living legend, and each time he sees my
poems he only ever says, Good luck, amigo!





Michael Dwayne Smith lives near a Mojave Desert ghost town with his family and rescued animals. His most recent book isRoadside Epiphanies (Cholla Needles Press, 2017). Nominated multiple times for the Pushcart Prize and Best of the Net, his work haunts many literary houses--including The Cortland Review, New World Writing, Star 82 Review, Blue Fifth Review, Skidrow Penthouse, Word Riot, Rat's Ass Review, Gravel, San Pedro River Review--and has been widely anthologized. When not writing or teaching, he edits Mojave River Press & Review.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Measure By Bruce Morton

We measure light, Not darkness, which is The absence of light. We measure heat, Not cold, which is The absence of heat. We measure sound, No...