Saturday, November 9, 2019

Expecting by J.C. O'Neil

I bet you weren’t expecting
to see me tonight.
Here, shooting pool,
tipping it back
laughing
having fun.

I bet you expected me
to lock myself inside,
to close the blinds
and drown our memories,
cry,
miss you.

I bet you didn’t expect me
To flirt with the bartender/
the drunk bridesmaid/
the pretty dancing brunette.
Living like a bachelor.

The truth?

I didn’t expect to feel this way.
I expected to wallow in pain,
in the misery of losing you.
Losing true love.

I realized something.
The love we had
wasn’t true,
not really.

It didn’t take long to see

you freed me from the dungeon
where you tortured
my heart.




J.C. O'Neil is a writer living in Cheswick, PA. He studied English Writing at the University of Pittsburgh in Greensburg. Between balancing work life, writing life, and family life (a beautiful wife, a sassy three year old, and fearless one year old) he's managed to have his poetry published by the Mad Poets Society and his stories in the Authors' Tale Anthology series.



No comments:

Post a Comment

-The Self-Righteous Sermon- By Nick Wentzel

Jazz guitar spills from the bar on the first room temperature night of the open mic.  Porch lights glow like artificial stars and a shameles...