Monday, March 2, 2020

The Key. By Jon Bennett


I swung the gate closed
opened it
“See, this is the key!” I said
The dealer looked at me
winked, then
did a little jig
I used to live
in the building
and had a key for the parking lot
he sold crack in front of
and his customers
needed to fix and piss
and shit
in the locked parking lot
“This is the key!” I said
I had had everything locked in place
job, girlfriend, etc.
but now the dealer
I used to drive past
was my dealer, too
“Two, give me two,” I said
He gave me two
and then 
he had the key.




Jon Bennett writes and plays music in
San Francisco's Tenderloin neighborhood.
You can find more of his work on Pandora,
Spotify and other streaming websites.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shot by Susan Isla Tepper

I stopped reading your face  and addressing your silence.    Went to the woods and shot  wherever leaves moved. Down one path to the next le...