Wednesday, February 1, 2023

FIGHT-OR-FLIGHT by Cord Moreski

It’s the first morning of January 
as I walk out to my front porch 
chewing on sunflower seeds 
to kill the urge of having a smoke

I eventually sit on my steps 
but still feel like I’m constantly moving 
even though it’s technically a new year
bills paid for at least another month
the phone actually quiet for once

I get distracted all of a sudden 
when this big sonofabitch
this red-tailed hawk emerges 
and explodes into a bush of sparrows  
chasing them across the street
until they all flutter away 

except for this one little bird
that takes refuge behind my feet
I toss it a seed while we both sit there 
in the aftermaths of our befores
both trying to fight for a breath
without having the urge to fly away.




Cord Moreski is a poet from the Jersey Shore. Moreski is the author of Apartment Poems (Between Shadows Press, 2022), Confined Spaces (Two Key Customs, 2022), The News Around Town (Maverick Duck Press, 2020), Shaking Hands with Time (Indigent Press, 2018), and Stay Afloat Inside (Indigent Press, 2016). He is currently working on his first full length which will be released later this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say something By Joshua Knickerbocker

Sometimes  I share a room With people Who've forgotten How the sharpness Of voice can cut Now, they're  Eroded smooth Easy to pick u...