Monday, April 15, 2024

Bright Orange Sun By Trish Saunders

It rained all day long, the date of that last eclipse  
and I didn’t bother to get dressed all day, until
the sky turned dark and a faint train whistle 
reminded me how years slip away from us. 

Five, ten, fifteen…
the years disappear in pitiless rain 
while the drudgery of dishes, laundry,
ironing, 401k’s and spreadsheets
eats away at our existence. 

Meanwhile in Naples, a gnarled orange tree
grows next to the tracks leading to Pompeii. 
Meanwhile, an ancient orange grove. Mean-
while, this amontillado in my glass, my good
friend who says, ‘I understand. ‘

For John Patrick Robbins






Trish Saunders lives in Seattle, formerly Honolulu, formerly Snohomish, a small town on a big river in Washington state. Her poems are published or forthcoming in Right Hand Pointing, Off The Coast, The Rye Whiskey Review, Medusa’s Kitchen, Open Arts, and the late, lamented Fat Damsel Press. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pentimento By Andrea Moore Johnson

The anticipation created anxiety or perhaps the unknown resulted in fear the outcomes so uncertain immediate and unfolding long after I am n...