Monday, September 17, 2018

Cleave. by Jon Bennett



There’re 2 windows here
the window looking at
the strip club across the street
and the window at the deli counter
for the cold cuts
I often sit at the street one
I sit there and write
and watch the business guys
fervent at the door
Sometimes I get upset
waving my pen around
conducting nothing
so I go to the deli counter
and talk to the man
at the slicer
I’m comfortable here
I come from a long line
of butchers
It’s not my intention,
it’s my nature
to rip things apart.







Jon Bennett writes and plays music in San Francisco's Tenderloin neighborhood.  You can find more of his work on Pandora and Spotify or by connecting with him on Facebook at www.facebook.com/jon.bennett.967.

1 comment:

Shot by Susan Isla Tepper

I stopped reading your face  and addressing your silence.    Went to the woods and shot  wherever leaves moved. Down one path to the next le...