We're the Ezine dedicated to all things barroom. We are slightly off what others consider the norm and always the last to close the bar. If you prefer the local dive bar to the glitz of some overpriced club then you're our kind of people. So welcome grab a drink and enjoy.
Sunday, September 30, 2018
Song for Annette. by John Doyle
Night drifts us north;
we the toughened birds of Yukon, and Northwest Territories -
and starlight the softness that we need;
and I fall in love with tomcats,
like the hooded bandits orphaned - from the torch-lit shawls and saddles -
of Sandy Denny's April and August songs.
You're electric blue like the bronchioles of night,
and I like that: I like it a lot -
you and me, we've been born in sands that dare the wash of angry sea,
ghosts that dart and haunt the faces -
in lives from office blocks and drunken taxis;
that we may belong here
in the clasps of dipped Latin blue, the Da Vinci verandas
and the coolness overhead, that breaths and whispers -
wings over wood-shacked Yukon, eastwards until we stop at Yellowknife -
and Dublin - that's our corner,
the fold and rippled nest that Gods having
given us, hold and burn the bastard darkness from this throbbing cobweb night
John Doyle became a Mod again in the summer of 2017 to fight off his impending mid-life crisis; whether this has been a success remains to be seen. He has has two collections published to date, A Stirring at Dusk in 2017, and Songs for Boys Called Wendell Gomez in 2018, both on PSKI's Porch.
He is based in Maynooth, County Kildare, Ireland. All he asks is that you leave your guns at the door and tie up your horses before your enter.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Room for Future Boxes - Angela M. Carter
I drove a twenty-foot U-Haul south on the interstate with the windows down, sweat running into my eyes, beneath the brim of a trucker hat t...
-
Why do I bother plugging the phone in? if I’m waiting for good news, it won’t come miracles do happen but they never happen to me so I might...
-
The porch holds smoke. Not a room. A line. Neighbors on the rail. Shoulders set. No give. Sailors kick the Atlantic off their boots. Salt hi...
-
Maybe about a hundred people know about this place, but you only ever find not even a dozen troubled souls on any given night here. Directio...

No comments:
Post a Comment