Saturday, October 13, 2018

HUNGER. by Wolf Kevin Martin




I

will 

eat 

you too

surviving 

gnawing 
bones 
and glass

spitting 
out gristle 

even the griss 
in front 
of me 
can be 
regurgitated

repeated again 

until satisfied
reminding me
I have no money
or fancy clothes 

yet
I
am 

rumbly 
tumbly 
bones

crashing 
breaking 

waves

moonshine 

your 
mind

prefers 
heart beats
complexity 
I could never 
afford

I
will take 
what I 
can get 

or left
with 

no difference between

no need to worry 
about the fairytale 


 I remember 
the old man 
rummaging 
behind the bar 
where I worked
he was in the alley
between us and heaven 
he was looking for hell

he was old
ornery

checking 
empty 
beer 
bottles 
and 
liquor bottles 

scarce scant amounts evaporates 

bottles of different colors and sizes stacked neatly outside 
same cartons 
that were delivered
last week
now filled with skulls

10 cents
a piece 

waiting to be cashed in
dutifully on return

was taking out the trash
walking out the back door

heard the explosions like gunfire

instead of putting the bottles 
back neatly,he was smashing 
the ones
that were completely empty
muttering to himself
why straighten up now?

putting back the bottles that had 
an unswigged corner
after reswigging
backwash and strangers kindness courtesy or neglect 
are the same illusion 
in the night 

he broke 285 bottles out of 350

we were both thinking 
about dreams 

both
realizing 

the same 
thing 
at a 
young age

I
still 
cherish 
that 
Wasted 
Time and 
Prayers

no one here owes 

You 

A
Mother 
Fucking 
Thing!

could of stopped him
from
breaking bottles 

it was an act 
out of 
my 
paygrade and above my morality god stood
still

didn’t want 
to steal 
joy 
he had left 

I did get paid 
cash

to
sweep up

collateral damage 

less confrontational

always
buy 
you 
a drink 
if I knew 
that it 
would 
change 
the world

can assure 
with 100%

certainty 

I
would drink 
it myself

longing 
for 
your 
noose 

I await 
your stubborn 
American 
ways






Wolf, Kevin Martin, is from North Carolina and a regular contributor to the Arrival Magazine in Winston Salem, NC.  Amateur photographer and poet.

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I see I already commented! :D When I read it again, I was thinking... this one is familiar. lol

      Delete

Kansas 1935 By Arvilla Fee

the wind blows through the cracks— cracks in the doors, the floors, cracks around the window sills; it wails like an injured animal, feral, ...