Thursday, October 18, 2018

Outside the Phoenix Nightclub. by Ryan Quinn Flanagan



Security stops
the men and frisks
us down.

All the women walk by
and wait by the door.

To check their coats
if they wish.

I guess I’ll just leave all my drugs
and guns with the missus next time,
seems you guys run a real tight ship.

The muscle head ignores me
and continues the pat down.

If you get any closer we’re going to have to get
married, my family is very traditional.

The guy beside me is not a friend.
The missus’ friend from work met him
over the sex line they both work at.
He sounded different, she said.

Like he didn’t want sex?
my missus asked.

I am pretty sure he is a serial killer.
The quiet type.
Just starting out, I can tell he
is still clumsy.

And the bouncers take an extra-long time
with us because I won’t shut up.

You feel up other guys for a living?
Your father must be proud.

You know there are at least half a dozen gay bars
less than three blocks from here.
They make things real easy.
You should just come out, I will sponsor you.
Like those bloated Christian charity
children on the tv.

Just stop talking, the missus implores.
I do and we are let inside.

To meet up
with some people
she has agreed
to meet.

To shoot pool
and dance
with three floors
of live DJs.

By the Sherborne St. subway
where all the chicken hawks
eat for free.








Ryan Quinn Flanagan is a Canadian-born author residing in Elliot Lake, Ontario, Canada with his wife and many bears that rifle through his garbage.  His work can be found both in print and online in such places as: Evergreen Review, The New York Quarterly, The Rye Whiskey Review, Outlaw Poetry Network, Horror Sleaze Trash, The Dope Fiend Daily and In Between Hangovers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

-The Self-Righteous Sermon- By Nick Wentzel

Jazz guitar spills from the bar on the first room temperature night of the open mic.  Porch lights glow like artificial stars and a shameles...