Thursday, November 22, 2018

Turkey. by Wayne F. Burke



I ate no turkey this day of
thankful giving
in regard for turkeys
in protest of their slaughter--
sat at the table next to 
my niece's daughter
the talk went around
the food said nothing
the sun shone in the backyard
the wine began to whisper
then speak,
the volume rose and
fell
and rose again
the blood-red liquid spoke
in tongues
flushed faces peered over
brims of glasses shaped
like my sister-in-law's sister's
breasts

which I drank in.





Wayne F, Burke's poetry has appeared in a wide variety of publications. He has published five full-length poetry collections, 4 with Bareback Press, and one with Alien Buddha Press. Plus two poetry chapbooks with Epic Rites Press. He lives in the central Vermont area, USA.

1 comment:

Black Magic Woman By Alexis Child

I carve a voodoo doll out of wax Hold a lighter to its chest It's hot, hot, hot She's lost her heart Her lovely head And beautiful l...