Tuesday, July 9, 2019

The Fighter by Darryl Graff


I’m a New York City union plaster foreman.   Last year, I did three Broadway theater restoration projects, back to back.  When I was done with the three theaters, it was handshakes, all around.

“Darryl, you did a great job. We’ll call you again…when things get busy.”

 As they were wheeling me on a gurney into the operating room, the hand surgeon, Dr. Chin, leaned over me and said, “It’s called a boxer’s fracture, also known as a bar room fracture; it’s a fracture of the fourth and fifth metacarpal bone, usually caused by the impact of a clenched fist with a skull, or other, hard, immovable object, such as a wall.”

 Wow.  A boxer’s fracture.  Sounds cool and tough, like, maybe I’m Anthony Quinn in Requiem for a Heavyweight; you know, “Mountain” Rivera.  One way or the other, I’ve been hit a million times.   I was almost heavyweight champion of the world.
       
  I’d had a couple of drinks and smoked one lousy fifty-cent Newport cigarette from the Arab bodega on the corner.   Next thing you know, I’m lightheaded. Dizzy.  Punch drunk.  I go down the subway stairs, head first.

 I heard a woman screaming, “Oh, my God, are you all right?”

 Some guys fight windmills; I fight subway stairs.     It didn’t happen on the job, so there is no workers’ comp check; I have a cast on my hand for a month, so I can’t work at all. So– I’m living on unemployment checks.   Funny thing about being unemployed: I don’t want to go outside and see other people because most of them, unlike me, have jobs.

 The cop shoots the bad guy; the fireman rescues the baby; the nurse saves a life; everyone does something– but me.   So it’s   easier to stay inside the apartment with the curtains drawn, and drink beer and listen to Frank Sinatra records: “Black cats creep across my path until I’m almost mad.   I must have roused the devil’s wrath, ‘because all my luck is bad.”
 
 I’m hungry.  I needed to eat, so I walked down two flights of stairs to Market Street, made a right onto Madison Street, and then a left onto Pearl Street where in between the Alfred E.  Smith Housing projects and the C-Town Supermarket is the Happy Restaurant.   Inside, there’s a large sign with a picture of a slice of pizza; a large sign with a picture of an eggroll, and a large sign with a picture of a gyro: lamb or chicken.

 I have a broken hand– they call it a boxer’s fracture. I’m a union man – my phone hasn’t rung in weeks.   I’m a fighter, and one way or another, I’ve been hit a million times.  I was almost heavyweight champion of the world.

                                                                   End







I am a NYC construction worker and writer.  My non fiction stories have appeared in Akashic Books, Hipocampus Magazine, Foliate Oak,
Da Chuna and elsewhere. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

17 years on the job By John Grochalski

rivers of shit flooding the kitchen   rivers of dirty water to drink   madmen screaming in the bathroom   rivers of madmen jerking off to sc...