Monday, December 2, 2019

My Bloody Chucks by Ashley Cooke



To the man who stole them off my porch
I wouldn't wear them inside your home
or anywhere you care about for that matter
hence why they stayed outside of my door nightly
they weren’t for you to take
but if you really need them
at least let me heed this warning…

They have tracked through punk shows
collecting samples of various spilled beer 
and the blood of someone's broken nose
who insisted on walking from the mosh pit
with his head pointed at everyone feet
because it’s so punk rock to bleed on everyone

They were also my work shoes at the hospital
and I collected many samples here too
from the guy who pissed blood 
to the woman with uncontrollable bowels
and that drunk patient 
who insisted on puking on the floor 
and not the bucket

So please continue to collect 
a petri dish of earth's samples
and hopefully you don’t catch anything
 that I have already grown immune to.





Ashley Cooke is a creative writing major attending Long Beach City College. She is from Long Beach, CA. She is currently working on her first poetry collection. Her work can be found in various online journals such as Moontide Press, Horror Sleaze Trash, Scarlett Leaf Review and many others.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Patron Saint of Queen Street Grill, Honolulu By Trish Saunders

There was no need to duck your head when we saw you waiting tables   at the local shrimp grill,   your wages so meager  they might feed bird...