Saturday, January 18, 2020

Afterdark By Jonel Abellanosa



I could recreate darkness in a lit room,
like screen saver in my closed eyes.

I nicknamed the intravenous opioid
bumblebee, because my desire to fly
left buzzes in my ears, sounds 
making me think of electricity.
Cough syrup would make my body
boneless as the emotion in timelessness. 
I’d taught myself the reflex,
automatic feel of mushroom
from the bed, my skull a habitable
planet. Memory is a gibbous moon,
making me remember decades later
every image, pearls of weightlessness.  
I’m still the sunflower 
without the bumblebee.







Jonel Abellanosa lives in Cebu City, the Philippines. He is a nature lover, an environmental advocate, and loves all animals particularly dogs. His poetry collections include, “Meditations” (Alien Buddha Press), “Songs from My Mind’s Tree” and “Multiverse” (Clare Songbirds Publishing House), 50 Acrostic Poems,” (Cyberwit, India), “In the Donald’s Time” (Poetic Justice Books and Art), and his speculative poetry collection, “Pan’s Saxophone” (Weasel Press). He loves to self-study the sciences.



No comments:

Post a Comment

-The Self-Righteous Sermon- By Nick Wentzel

Jazz guitar spills from the bar on the first room temperature night of the open mic.  Porch lights glow like artificial stars and a shameles...