Thursday, January 23, 2020

Saskatoon, 1981. By John Doyle


If there are woodlands in Saskatoon

I’ll hide there, pretend I'm five years old in 1981
with nameless neighbours taking me on day trips
to towns with names I've forgotten, 
me hiding in the boot
when they stop to buy lemonade and chocolate brands that disappear
like leaves in the woods in Saskatoon that may, or may not exist.
Saskatoon was a place I saw in a geographical reference book in 1981
with photos of Aboriginal elders dancing in traditional costume
that looked like chocolate wrappers and leaves the colour of Mid-morning.
I’ll hide in the woodlands in Saskatoon, 
pretend I'm five years old in 1981
where mice run on roulette wheels and win me prizes in county fairs.
The first cheeseburger I ever bought, thanks to a snow-haired mouse;
it will join me in the woodlands of Saskatoon, 
we'll pray, give praise
like elders do in geographical reference books in 1981.
When they stop suddenly, European settlers looking puzzled
take their cameras out, and make us eternal -
mice, and the all too soon to be men





John Doyle became a Mod again in the summer of 2017 to fight off his impending mid-life crisis; whether this has been a success remains to be seen. He has has two collections published to date, A Stirring at Dusk in 2017, and Songs for Boys Called Wendell Gomez in 2018, both on PSKI's Porch.

He is based in Maynooth, County Kildare, Ireland. All he asks is that you leave your guns at the door and tie up your horses before your enter.





No comments:

Post a Comment

On Tuesday There Was a Point When Bourbon Seemed Like a Good Breakfast Food By jim bourey

That was when morning newscasters started their phony emoting about the cargo ship disaster at the Key Bridge.  The day before, it was more ...