Wednesday, January 1, 2020

Smoke Signals by Jedediah Smith




A field of Turkey is on fire
cupped in the palm of my hand. 
My briar pipe with birdseye
woodgrain burns without burning,
latakia sends slow scented curls 
and clouds around my head 
as I write, shutting me
from your view, allowing 
me to make magic words
in a fine and private place. 


I'm a shaman - watch my smoke.







Jedediah Smith teaches literature, mythology, and whatever he can get away with at City College of San Francisco. His poetry has been published in California Quarterly, Ekphrastic Review, Mojave River Review, and The American Journal of Poetry. He also edited Parlando: Collected Poems of Ray Clark Dickson.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Reflection By Jake St. John

I have  a fear  of bridges  maybe  that's why  I've burned  so many. Jake St. John  lives in the woods on the edge of the Salmon Riv...