Saturday, July 4, 2020

In My Favorite Blue Undershorts by Ryan Quinn Flanagan



I was never worried about myself.
Somehow, I knew I was fucked.
No need to adorn aging skin tag 
guillotine necks with pearls.

Sitting up in bed 
of this second floor biker motel
watching dealers and sketchy junkies shuffle up 
to the neighbouring door and give some lazy
predetermined knock.

As I sat shirtless 
in my favorite blue undershorts
watching the kids from India
killing the national spelling bee.

Getting increasingly drunk
so that I started to wonder about 
those stains on the towels 
in the bathroom that wouldn’t
come out.

The weird ripples 
in the flowery wallpaper 
above my head 
that betrayed the working 
garden.

Double checking the deadbolt 
on the door
before pulling the curtains
and sprawling out in the middle
of the bed.

Cheering on 
my favourite brown boy 
from the provinces 
who was admittedly nearsighted 
with a noticeable lisp.

When he lost,
I rolled over and made 
my body into a star.

Drooling over all the pillows
so housekeeping would know 
I was there. 




Ryan Quinn Flanagan is a Canadian-born author residing in Elliot Lake, Ontario, Canada with his wife and many bears that rifle through his garbage.  His work can be found both in print and online in such places as: Evergreen Review, The New York Quarterly,The Rye Whiskey Review, Outlaw Poetry Network, Under The Bleachers, The Dope Fiend Daily and In Between Hangovers.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Natalie The Server by Bill Kitcher

I raised my glass to my lips and, looking up, saw Natalie watching me. She smiled slightly, briefly. She came over and sat beside me at the ...