Thursday, February 18, 2021

Blue by John Doyle

"Soon the blue, so soon..."

David Gilmour/Polly Samson


Europe is a lighthouse,

a flash down coasts pebbled-beaches


resurrect in evening's blues.

Nocturne bends this


into sound highways 

near Rouen


cup their ears toward :

so do I - 


I’m a flashing shape

that hounded road-signs 


for spare-change,

grime-powdered Francs, anything that makes me 


realise - how morning and night - how

Tuesdays and Thursdays mean nothing here.


There is only sound - the yelp of taxis down boulevards 

to the summoning of proud


and erect heels -

Barcelona stretched across decades of cigarette illumination,


and the manholes on slate-grey streets, billowing pneumatic jazz,

all that Jazz…


In Corsica the sky leans towards me, holds out its hand

dropping me blankets of orange, blankets of red,


rusted gold, and the songs in powder-blue -

only one stayed the course 


as I sway alongside David Gilmour’s

solo, like a broken heart repaired by easel,


shifting dusk-time 

through every shade of blue.


This is my shade, I hold it in my palm,

join the queue, waiting.


No-one asked the sky

how grey could look so beautiful, 


we took it for granted I guess,

then dusk came and blessed us -


like the French, the Greeks,

those Italian fossils - bone shielded by stone



 John Doyle became a Mod again in the summer of 2017 to fight off his impending mid-life crisis; whether this has been a success remains to be seen. He has has two collections published to date, A Stirring at Dusk in 2017, and Songs for Boys Called Wendell Gomez in 2018, both on PSKI's Porch. He is based in Maynooth, County Kildare, Ireland. All he asks is that you leave your guns at the door and tie up your horses before your enter.


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Old Drunken Sailor By Wayne Russell

The old drunken sailor wanted to blaze like a red comet, across a failing skyline. He wanted to crash and burn into the bosom of mother eart...