Wednesday, April 14, 2021

Skydiving From The Ground by John Patrick Robbins

I had just suffered a stroke and here I was buying beer.
I never played anything safe but even the devil that sat upon my shoulder had to look at me and say.

"Dude really?"

My face had gone back to normal, but even a brick to the face could not hurt my looks.

My speech was still a bit off.
Of course the clerk probably thought I was just drunk.

I was beyond a simple addict. I believe I had purchased a first class ticket to looneyville population me.

I knew another drink could end it all and yet the thought of not enjoying that bliss scared me worse than death.

If you think addiction is cool you're more insane than myself.
Truth is always way more fucked up than fiction.

I am a train that is speeding straight off the tracks.
As some will read this as a story.
Some bullshit to sell books or gain likes.

I don't run a cult so please pull your head out of your proverbial ass.
Do yourself a favor and recognize a setting sun for what it truly is.

And do not follow me.







John Patrick Robbins, is the editor in chief of the 
Rye Whiskey Review.
He is also the author of The Still Night Sessions from 
Whiskey City Press. 

His work has been published in.
Lothlorien Poetry Journal, Fearless Poetry Zine, Punk Noir, Medusa's Kitchen, Piker Press, The Dope Fiend Daily, The Blue Nib, San Pedro River Review,  San Antonio Review.

His work is always unfiltered. 


3 comments:

  1. Despite that this is a very good poem it scares the crap out of me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. cuts like a knife
    bleeding the page

    ReplyDelete
  3. love the title. love the poem with its killer last line.

    ReplyDelete

-The Self-Righteous Sermon- By Nick Wentzel

Jazz guitar spills from the bar on the first room temperature night of the open mic.  Porch lights glow like artificial stars and a shameles...