Monday, June 14, 2021

A Night In Ketchum by Jake St. John

I was drunk 
out of my mind 
and found 
Hemingway's grave

In a stupor 
I'd stumbled 
the street
and visited every bar 
still operating 
that he drank in.

In one joint
I pulled up 
a stool
ordered 
a cocktail
traveled back 
to 1952
neon lights 
mixed drinks 
reliving
memories 
I never had. 

Then I crossed
The street
and drank beer
with a retired couple
from Massachusetts 
we watched
the Sox game 
at Whiskey Jacques
my namesake
my birth certificate lists 
Jacques St. John 
as my legal name.

Anyway
I decided
then and there
that I'd drink 
a rum and coke 
with Papa
anytime

No guns though
that's where 
I'd draw the line.




Jake St. John spends nights in a fort on the edge of the woods.  He is the author of several collections of poetry including Snow Moon (Holy & Intoxicated Publications, 2019), Lost City Highway (A Jabber Publication, 2019) and Working Man’s Odyssey (Analog Submission Press, 2018). His poems have appeared in print and online journals around the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Measure By Bruce Morton

We measure light, Not darkness, which is The absence of light. We measure heat, Not cold, which is The absence of heat. We measure sound, No...