Friday, August 6, 2021

Pretty in Pink by John Doyle

I'm standing all alone
Dennis Wilson tells me for the 19th time since 1978,
Bray, County Wicklow
 
asking grifters like me to send its ashes home to France;
two men on bikes at Cassoni's remark
how boring trains look these days 
 
as I hold Bray's ashes, as rain delays itself, graciously.
Listening to Frank Furillo save J.D. LaRue’s soul on Youtube
I call one half of team Raleigh to come collect his chips,
 
the other mutters that his brother's wife's a cunt - I think that’s his brother
briefly becoming my shadow,
nightfall nude as someone's baby five doors down -
 
taking their first bath, pink and safe, chuckling.
France isn't stamped on this horizon -
not yet - be patient my child, all beauty fuses us as one,

then leaves us standing - all alone

26th July, 2021, approaching 9 p.m.




 John Doyle became a Mod again in the summer of 2017 to fight off his impending mid-life crisis; whether this has been a success remains to be seen. He has has two collections published to date, A Stirring at Dusk in 2017, and Songs for Boys Called Wendell Gomez in 2018, both on PSKI's Porch.

He is based in Maynooth, County Kildare, Ireland. All he asks is that you leave your guns at the door and tie up your horses before your enter.


1 comment:

-The Self-Righteous Sermon- By Nick Wentzel

Jazz guitar spills from the bar on the first room temperature night of the open mic.  Porch lights glow like artificial stars and a shameles...