Tuesday, September 7, 2021

After-Burn by S. A. Gerber

 I got a hang-over 
like a fat lady 
on a bicycle seat. 
I am as dry as  
a virgin’s mound. 
I remember starting 
with whisky and 
ending with wine, 
but precious little else. 
Awaking alone, as 
per usual, however from  
the nocturnal debris strewn 
about is obvious that others 
were present, just cannot 
be accounted for right now. 
Not really hungry, I stab at 
eggs and signal for more coffee. 
(Need something to act as a 
sponge, and sop up the alcohol 
eating away at my stomach 
and vital organs.) 
Clayton “me boy” enters, toting 
library books, two extra shirts, 
and a bottle of warm beer,  
in a large paper bag. 
Spotting me, he takes the empty 
seat at my table for one. 
After making some mandatory 
one –sided conversation, I signal 
for some coffee for him. 
The least I can do I suppose. 
He sips and recounts a story of 
being at a place last week 
where a girl o.d.’ed and 
subsequently died. 
He had just come from arising 
at the shore where a paramedic 
unit was loading a body into the 
back after pronouncing him dead. 
He retired to sleep that night ten-feet 
away from Clayton “me boy” in 
the same sand and mist, never to awaken. 
 

 
 
He told these tales without registering 
any emotion, so nonchalantly. 
Business as usual. 
Still suffering from after burn 
from the previous night’s drowning 
of all feeling and empathy, even  
I felt a sudden pang of dread. 
I continue eating, Clayton “me boy” 
continues telling tales of woe. 
Wrote a play last night, wanna’ read? 
Sure, I tell him. Gibberish…complete. 
When we step outside, we are in 
the midst of a homeless encampment 
just off Venice Blvd.  
Clayton “me boy” knows most of them. 
Dreams disintegrating before my eyes. 
dashed hopes…semi-good intentions. 
I have no change I can distribute. Nothing. 
I feel like the fabled “one eyed man” 
compared to these forgotten souls. 
I lose Clayton “me boy” in the crowd, 
and I saunter back to my building after 
a pit-stop at the “Liquor Locker”. 
I need some time to forget. 
My rent is due, I don’t drive or work. 
Transitory, empty, detached relationships 
are all I can seem to maintain with women. 
The next time someone from the real 
world asks me why I drink so much… 
I just may take the time to explain. 

 




S. A. Gerber is a native and resident again of Los Angeles, CA. after having spent  twenty-four years in a neighboring “city of sin” in the Silver State of Nevada.  

His work has appeared in such diverse publications as Desert Voices Magazine… Subtopian Magazine…Talking Sidewalks… Mad Swirl, (where he is a “contributing Poet”)… Sediment Literary and Arts Journal… Poetica Magazine… Black Heart Magazine… The Blue Collar Review…Los Angeles Review of Los Angeles… The Linden Avenue Literary Journal…The Poet’s Haven…Stray Light Literary Magazine… Literature in Los Angeles Magazine… Opiate Magazine… Pacific Poetry… Neologism Poetry Journal…The Lyric…Free Venice Beachhead… The Shot Glass Journal…,Dove Tales-“Empathy in Art: Embracing the Other”, Writing for Peace, International Journal of the Arts, and Alien Buddha Press-Holiday Anthology-2020. 

He is also a member of the Los Angeles Poet’s Society, (where his work can be found “Spotlighted” on their website). 
His three (3) volumes of poetry, Under the Radar, Inventory, and Old School Rhyme can all be obtained on Barnes & Noble and Amazon.com, as well as Beyond Baroque Bookstore in Venice, Ca. The Amber Unicorn in Las Vegas, NV. The Book Monster in Santa Monica, Ca., The Book Jewel in Westchester, Ca. and  City Lights Bookstore, San Francisco, Ca. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

On Tuesday There Was a Point When Bourbon Seemed Like a Good Breakfast Food By jim bourey

That was when morning newscasters started their phony emoting about the cargo ship disaster at the Key Bridge.  The day before, it was more ...