Monday, September 13, 2021

Plastic Town by Damon Freed

Everyone goes downtown these days.
At night they pretend to have had a hard
day’s work and sit, retired, at the bar. 
The old industry also sits, once beautifully 
decayed – now – refurbished – like it’s
spanking new. Old crumbling facades
repainted, reworked, like the olden days.

And I remember some of those days. No
neighbors; the grit, the grime, falling down
fences, no restraint, the old candy store,
butcher shop, dollar store. Boom boxes 
blaring upstairs and on the streets. The
run down brothels. The alleyways at night.

But now, you can’t play your music so 
loud. The gentries don’t like it that way.
Their souls are tired, as if tired, and have
lost sight of the hard-road. The tough bloods
are all but gone. And the blondes are artificial
like the windexed panes of glass on the 
store fronts. And all the cats still roam the 
streets, but are fat and well-fed. 

And that courthouse flame still flames, but
no one has the balls these days to light a 
joint off it. They just smoke their cigarettes
by it and talk about justice, as if it exists.
And like it or leave it I’m here to watch
the overflow, and to criticize the fat-assed
lawyers who haven’t needed a drink to get
through the day in 30 years. The tears don’t
get cried, the cheers don’t get sighed, and
the crickets and cockroaches have all but 
died.

But tonight I’ll be pretending like it always
was and used to be and playing my radio
loud as white lightning. Maybe something like 
Jungleland at three quarter’s volume
will suit the mood, if I’m lucky,
before the brooding sets in even worse.
Then, I’m bound to join in with all those
fake showboats at the bar – sitting there, 
pretending like life never mattered or existed
in this godforsaken town. 




I am an artist who cherishes balance, reason, and ambiguity; and I express it through a variety of working methods, from abstracted realities to nonobjective paintings of grids, I believe reality exists on the edge of perception. And while my Dad has been my best and greatest influence Agnes Martin and Brice Marden’s work are among them. 
I received my B.F.A. from the School of Visual Arts in New York City where I graduated with honors. Freed taught at two places for 10 years at the college level. His first year was in ’09. His M.F.A. is from Hunter College, City University of New York. Freed has studied with such luminaries as Jack Whitten, Marilyn Minter, David Chow, Juan Sanchez, Sanford Wurmfeld, Tobi Kahn, Lucio Pozzi, Tim Rollins, Alice Aycock, Susan Crile, Anton van Dalen, Suzanne Anker, Donald Kuspit, and Katy Siegel among others. He has been exhibited in galleries in New York City, Saint Louis, Kansas City and Columbia, Missouri. 
In writing, my influences are my mom and dad, sister and brothers, and friends, mostly. My inspirations are my family and dearest friends, and the people I meet in every direction! Freed has not been formally trained in poetry but is an avid writer of works and spoken word. He has nine books of poetry published by himself. 
You may find his collections of poetry in the Sedalia Public Library as well. 
Freed may be reached at damonfreed@gmail.com or by going to his website online.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Reflection By Jake St. John

I have  a fear  of bridges  maybe  that's why  I've burned  so many. Jake St. John  lives in the woods on the edge of the Salmon Riv...