Friday, October 8, 2021

A Thing That Happened by Jeff Weddle

At the bar with the famous writer.
I don’t know him well,
but I do know him.

We’re drunk,
though he more so than I.

My buddy is on the other side
of the famous writer
and he’s drunk, too,
maybe the drunkest of us all,
though who’s to say?

The three of us mostly sit there quietly,
drinking our beer.  

I’m trying to be a writer, too,
with little success,
but I am trying.

I figure that working at it
will make the writing easier,
that I will finally learn something
that will make the words flow.

So, I ask the famous writer
if it gets easier after a while.

His shoulders shrink and he sighs.
 “No, man. It just gets harder.”

We keep drinking, the famous writer,
my buddy and I, mostly in silence.

A couple of years later, still in his forties,
the famous writer is dead of a heart attack.
My buddy lasted another twenty years
after that. He was trying to be a writer, too.

No, you’ve never heard of him.  

This was long ago, and I’m still here,
still trying to be a writer,
still with little success.

No, you’ve never heard of me.

I’m glad I knew my buddy,
and, can tell you that,
completely unknown,
he wrote well.

I’m glad I knew the famous writer, too,
and marvel at his ferocious talent
with the novel and the short story.
The man was a master.

That old bastard, Death,
steps in on his own schedule,
no matter what we do.

On balance, I suppose it’s better
to be a famous dead writer
than a dead writer
who remains unknown,
though the bottom line is the same.

I’m lucky
to have split the difference:
still here and playing with the word
in obscurity.

But I miss my buddy
and would have liked
to have had more to read
from the famous writer.
He really was great.

I guess that’s all, except for this:
everything is a blessing,
even the drunken nights,
even the small talent, even death.

We all end up where we should,
and if you and I ever find ourselves
on barstools together,
it will be fine,
though I will have no advice to offer,
even if you’re in the market.

I do know, however,
and with the weight of years,
that the famous writer was correct.
Everything just gets harder.

You can take that to the bank.

Okay, okay. Drink up.
That’s all.




Jeff Weddle is a poet and writer living in Tuscaloosa, Alabama. He won the 2007 Welty Prize for Bohemian New Orleans: The Story of the Outsider and Loujon Press, and has also received honors for his fiction and poetry. Jeff teaches in the School of Library and Information Studies at the University of Alabama.



1 comment:

Shot by Susan Isla Tepper

I stopped reading your face  and addressing your silence.    Went to the woods and shot  wherever leaves moved. Down one path to the next le...