Saturday, October 23, 2021

Pubescence Old-Fashioned by Chuka Susan Chesney

Deodorant spray in

my parents’ bathroom drawer.

I hurry to the door.

“Wait til we’re out!”

My mother implores.

My father grunts crossly while

razoring his chin.


I return to my room,

yank on a chartreuse turtleneck,

plaid jumper, knee socks,

and violette headband,

then reappear at their bedroom door.


I glance through the doorway

at their muddled double bed.

They have left

for the kitchen

to nibble applejack toast.


The deodorant’s straight up

on the Irish cream counter.

I flick away goo

in the hole of the nozzle,

reach it through my collar

and spritz my underarms.


I sit on the bus on the way 

to school.

The deodorant’s cheap—

my father bought it on sale.

Trickles of sweat drizzle down my sides.

I chat with my friend

on the pickled vinyl seat.

She doesn’t know I’m sweating.

Embarrassed, I pretend 

it isn’t happening.

I just keep grinning

my Jack-O-Lantern smile.


I realize I need my own deodorant

to twist in my bedroom

so my brother won’t use it.

That night I say, “Dad,

please take me to the drugstore.”


He does. I buy roll-on

and a pivoting razor.





Chuka Susan Chesney is an artist and a poet. Her poems, art, and/or flash fiction have been published in Peacock Journal, Inklette, New England Review, Compose, Picaroon, and Lummox. Chesney’s paintings and collages have been in exhibitions and galleries across the United States.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Bright Orange Sun By Trish Saunders

It rained all day long, the date of that last eclipse   and I didn’t bother to get dressed all day, until the sky turned dark and a faint tr...