Friday, October 29, 2021

Shillington by Carl Kaucher

At Harding Avenue,
bumbling past broken sticks, a dirty paper plate
and a little patch of crusty old snow,
I came upon the old High School
now remodeled and adorned 
with an array of security cameras
that thankfully were not there back on that day
when Steve M. drove up to the lunchroom door
with a case of beer in the trunk
to pick up the crew for a big Woo Hoo
up at Shillington park.

But as for now, in the now
the ground is well saturated to a slop 
from a steady January rain all morning 
and in my vagrant like stumbling
I slip into a muddy puddle
soaking my shoe to a cold squishy squash.
The shoe is still somewhat squeaking
when I cut in the side door at Flannigan's pub
a few blocks further away.

Luckily the room is a noisy and bawdy affair
of loud voices and bad music permeating the air.
Sitting down to observe all the posturing 
and imagery involved in making the scene 
but not for one as me with squishy shoes,
cold feet, a red runny nose and fogged up glasses.
I just don't fit in between double shot guy
and the coupling couple Googling beside me.

Along comes a woman furnishing free samples
of an ice cold pilsner in small plastic cups
from some brewery in San Diego.
The beer tastes pathetic and gross 
and the grimace on my face causes her to move on
so I miss out on the free pint glasses 
she gives to everyone else but me. 
So be it, so I beat it 
cause all I want to do is leg it
and fumble around in the world.

Later, under the care of Dr. Rick Marshall IPA
at another location of libation,
I again study all the gestures and intimations
of the character and condition of the human situation.
Overhearing the conversation of the couple beside me,
I wonder just how it ever happens 
that the sexes can stay together
given the, oh what the hell do I know,
differences.
It just seems odd given the points of view,
the implications and intimations 
indicative of "till DEATH do us part".
I consider this in part 
because I wanted to use the word indicative.

Hell, I am a writer and cannot even describe
the sinister shadows creeping 
by the side of the road
making my way back to the car
a mile away too far after I left the bar.
I am becoming one with the frost
in the land of the loathsome and lost
and my foot has now frozen off.
                         



Carl Kaucher is a poet, photographer, and urban explorer who lives in Temple, Pennsylvania.  He is the author of two chap books, "Sideways Blues ( Irish mountain and beyond )"and most recently "Postpoemed" His work has appeared in numerous publications and on line. The writing explores his experiences wandering urban spaces near his home and throughout Pennsylvania. Using his photography and writing, Carl has been exploring the overlooked places and documenting the chance occurrences that happen to him and by doing so gives us the opportunity to reflect upon those similar events happening in our lives also. https://www.facebook.com/CarlKaucher/   and on instagram @Carlkaucher.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Reflection By Jake St. John

I have  a fear  of bridges  maybe  that's why  I've burned  so many. Jake St. John  lives in the woods on the edge of the Salmon Riv...