Saturday, November 27, 2021

whiskey is a horrible anti-anxiety medicine and why i don’t drink anymore by Scott Ferry

after my first drink
100 televisions unplug

but at 3 am 1000 televisions wake me
along with a howling gibbon

the next day another drink maybe 2 or 3—
relative quiet except anger

subtle at first as i spit at my family
but i really spit at god at the falling floor

at myself as a drop away
why am i angry if i am actually

scared the fear will never stop?
i can’t unplug this unless

i find the boy shaking
some round holes in his thorax

he says don’t help me i can do this
myself i am not dissolving

i am not crying
but i pull him into some light

i make by holding my chest and my testicles
and asking god (the god with spit

on his face) to heal me and he
does but so slowly

the holes still weep
mercury

as i pray




 Scott Ferry helps our Veterans heal as a RN in the Seattle area. In former lives he taught high school, managed aquatic centers, and practiced acupuncture. He has four books of poetry: The only thing that makes sense is to grow (Moon Tide, 2019), Mr. Rogers kills fruit flies (Main St. Rag, 2020), These Hands of Myrrh (Kelsay Books, 2021), and Sea of Marrow (Ethel Press, 2021). He has two books upcoming in 2022: fishmirror from Alien Buddha Press and Skinless in the Cereal Aisle from Impspired.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Reflection By Jake St. John

I have  a fear  of bridges  maybe  that's why  I've burned  so many. Jake St. John  lives in the woods on the edge of the Salmon Riv...