Tuesday, December 7, 2021

The Song Bird By George Anderson


Most afternoons after work

while toiling in the back garden

 

the call comes firstly 

as a series of musical notes

 

but then, as my thirst buds ripen

I finally get it-

 

what the sweet bird is foretelling:

 

AL-CO-HOL

AL-CO-HOL

 

 

Cooper's Sparkling Ale

 

At the Duke of Ed

in East Adelaide

the pub has six Cooper's

Ales on tap including

my favourite.

 

I explain to the barman

in my excitement, "You can't

find anywhere in New South

Wales now which serves Sparkling 

Ale on tap. It's been my favourite brew

for over for thirty years!"

 

The young barman is attentive

and all smiles. As he hands me

the beer, he says, matter of factly,

 

"I haven't tried it myself."

 

 




George Anderson is editor of Bold Monkey Review.

His latest chapbook ‘The Factory of Eccentric Poetics’

will be shortly published by Holy & Intoxicated Publications. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

-The Self-Righteous Sermon- By Nick Wentzel

Jazz guitar spills from the bar on the first room temperature night of the open mic.  Porch lights glow like artificial stars and a shameles...