Monday, January 24, 2022

Old by Wayne F. Burke

A log-jam at the EXIT
of the supermarket—
an elderly couple doddering
in the doorway…
A woman with cart ahead of
me: “what are they doing,” she
asks, peeved. “Plow into them,”
I say. “No, I won’t.”
A woman behind says “they
do not give a shit about
anybody.”
The white-haired codger
tugs on his missus’ sleeve as
they move, slow as cold
molasses…
The woman ahead gives me
a “look,” eyes above her
black mask. I feel like kicking her
in the ass. “They are old,” I say, but
neither woman, it is obvious, gives
a shit, old or
whatever.




Wayne F. Burke's poetry has been widely published online and in print. He has published six full-length poetry collections, most recently DIFLUCAN (BareBack Press, 2019). He lives in the Pine Tree State.




No comments:

Post a Comment

On Tuesday There Was a Point When Bourbon Seemed Like a Good Breakfast Food By jim bourey

That was when morning newscasters started their phony emoting about the cargo ship disaster at the Key Bridge.  The day before, it was more ...