Wednesday, February 9, 2022

Rodeo and Another 8 Seconds by Paula Hayes

Ride it out 
See where it leads

I will treat my heart like this is a rodeo
Queen to fucking queen 
Get on that horse and stay on it as long as I can 
8 seconds of love or disaster in hand 
Until I am bucked off by the wildness of it all 
 
Because you cannot tame passion
And why would you want to tame passion?
Taming passion only makes it less passionless 
And what is the good in that, huh? 
Ugh, ugh, I never used the word in texts till her…so ugh! 

I cannot say my heart is broken
I don’t think it is 
Which is unusual for me 
Because my heart is usually broken so easily 
I think it is because I knew she really loved me 
And even if the ending wasn’t pretty 
The ending was wild and untamed like the ride itself
Like the passion itself
And the ending was inevitable
I still feel her love for me 
And I won’t lie, sometimes it gets me through the day 
I am greedy, sometimes! That’s just the way it is! 

It is just some moments I remember
The sound of her laughter and her voice 
 
I learned to be my own Hollywood
Place myself in the movies 
I will be the star of my own making
With another horse, another sunset
Another rodeo, never winning 
Never getting the fame
Never conquering the flame  




Paula Hayes is a poet hanging out in Memphis, the same town where the ghost of Elvis hangs out. Music imbibes her soul so it seems a natural fit. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

a hollow darkness by J.J. Campbell

i was 23 and madly in love  with a woman that wanted  nothing to do with me i never could tell from the way  we kissed or the way we fucked ...