Friday, February 11, 2022

Turning Out the Light by Kathleen Sullivan

I guess it's time though I've denied it
We made our bond, but you untied it

Though chasing shadows since the start
I never thought you'd break my heart

I loved you on the day we met
And hadn't finished doing it yet

You harshly said to me, I'm done
I waited for you to return

You're not here now, you never were
Someone else, is loving you somewhere

I gave you love I gave you time
But you were never to be mine

I must have fallen way too deep
For you're still with me when my sleep

My heart's been cut and bruised and battered
They say, it's only love that mattered

Come back and take away your trash
The things we built we made to last

Then go and leave me in abandon
Be with your substitute, companion

And spin your web tell tales anew
To fools who fall in love with you

They told me so, I must admit
That you just really can't commit

Now nothing's left, no one to blame
As I retake my father's name

They say it will be dark tonight            
But I am turning out the light





    Kathleen Sullivan is an intensive care registered nurse who writes to inspire and heal. Mother of two, grandmother of three, she has poetry, prose, articles, and short stories published online and in print format in professional journals, church magazines, and anthologies in the UK and USA. Born and raised in West Central Scotland, she now lives on the shores of the Gulf of Mexico, in the seaside town of Indian Rocks Beach, Florida. There is always laughter in her home courtesy of the many apps available for video calls with her family, who are dotted around the world. 




4 comments:

On Tuesday There Was a Point When Bourbon Seemed Like a Good Breakfast Food By jim bourey

That was when morning newscasters started their phony emoting about the cargo ship disaster at the Key Bridge.  The day before, it was more ...