Thursday, June 2, 2022

The Bubble by Peter Mladinic

The bubble in the shield of my iPhone 
is flat, silver as spittle,
shaped like candy wax soda bottles 
sold in the 1950s, a bottle you’d eat
not drink from, pure sugar parents 
let their kids to buy. 
Some got allowances, lucky brats!
That laminate bubble bothered me 
but now it’s just part of my life, 
unlike my parents, both dead before data 
was stored in the cloud. Bluetooth:
That the Everly Brothers’ “Birddog” 
comes through my sunglasses
would thrill them. They’d be amazed.
On walkie-talkie banana portables 
with antennas God told them: 
Your day is coming. Phil and Don sang 
“Wake Up, Little Susie.” One night
I lost it, with a brick cracked my Sony 
46 inch screen which I then had to dump.
Today I hear my mother, 
“Bet you’ll never do that again!”  
I remember rainbow colors,
wax soda bottles I broke my teeth.




Peter Mladinic’s fourth book of poems, Knives on a Table is available from Better Than Starbucks Publications.

An animal rights advocate, he lives in Hobbs, New Mexico.

 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Shot by Susan Isla Tepper

I stopped reading your face  and addressing your silence.    Went to the woods and shot  wherever leaves moved. Down one path to the next le...