Wednesday, September 14, 2022

Tableware by C.S. Mathews

There's a cosmic unraveling
in time
a split that cuts through the fabric
like a knife through cheese
next to wine so fine it breathes 

-release 

and hold the tableset together
but a glass breaks and can't be replaced 

-so you piece it out 

the intervals of familial liminals
the empty spaces
that in space exist 
that’s where it rips. 

The family unravels 
to show the strings that waves make
and all it takes is one thread cut
until everything is fucked 

and your stuck sifting through lives
in the form of boxes
that stack to the sky
-Atlas
And they tell you its fine
-passing
between states of mind
-crafting 
realities based on finality
-writing 
eulogies for the ones you love
just because 

you want to be ready
to split their lives like fabric 
and sell the knife to a stranger. 

Remember Starlings


I starred at a puddle of blood in the parking lot 
across from my apartment
and saw in it a flock of starlings 

and in them I saw my own blood splattered 
across the floor
from where the lashes tore me
my sense of me 

and the starlings swarm in flight
black as the night is bright in stars
that swim in skies the colour of rust
dried blood 
on pavement in front of us at 5 
when we can't tell if he’s alive
until he dies 

and I’m helpless 

until I'm running to her body 
twisted 
through traffic 
streaming 
and she’s breathing
as bird fly by- 

and my tears are rewetting 
pavement dry,
rusty as that desert sky.




C.S. Mathews is the coauthor of Fearful Architecture and an editor for The Grindstone Magazine and Wheel Works Publishing. Having cut her teeth as an independent journalist and medic during the 2020 protests, their work focuses heavily on activism, their indigenaity, truama, and her experiences being transgender.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Black Magic Woman By Alexis Child

I carve a voodoo doll out of wax Hold a lighter to its chest It's hot, hot, hot She's lost her heart Her lovely head And beautiful l...