Tuesday, September 20, 2022

tornado in Vern’s Place by Preacher Allgood

the skinny cowboy looked like a speed freak
the cowgirl looked like a gaunt cheerleader
and the feeling of trouble surrounded them 
like an aura of nasty bathroom graffiti

when I told that goat roper 
I wouldn’t sell him another pitcher
he bucked up and puffed up and shouted
do you know who I am?
he jabbed a thumb at the big buckle on his belt
I’m the son of a bitch 
that rode TORNADO to seven seconds
that’s who I am
I ought to be getting free beer out of this dump

I wish I had a dollar 
for every drunk cowboy that claimed he 
he sat one of those big-name bulls 
even for one second 
I told the phony braggart to get lost

and the idiot lunged at me from across the bar
I grabbed the sap I kept beside the register
his cowgirl grabbed him 
and one way or the other he crashed to the floor
out cold as hell

did he hit his head on the bar rail?
did he pass out from the three pitchers they drank?
did that leather and lead pacifier bump his precious noggin?
nobody knows and nobody cares

I helped the cheerleader drag him out to his truck
we stuffed him in, and she drove off

and I’m sure somewhere in a serene pasture of the afterlife
TORNADO, who was the greatest rodeo bull of all time
shook his mammoth head in waves of bovine laughter 





Preacher Allgood wrote some poems.  Some of them don't suck.  Then he got old and he wrote some more poems.    



No comments:

Post a Comment

Reflection By Jake St. John

I have  a fear  of bridges  maybe  that's why  I've burned  so many. Jake St. John  lives in the woods on the edge of the Salmon Riv...