Saturday, October 29, 2022

Ale by Wayne F. Burke

Pale green ocean the
color of bottled Ballentine Ale--
a six pack on the
window sill
and seagulls on the
gravel roof below; dirty city birds
like wise-guys, beady-eyed, and
with hooked beaks
like war-clubs of the Iroquois--
after drinking 5 of the bottles
and trying, unsuccessfully
to piss on the birds, and
having solved, in my mind
half the world's problems,
I drink the last, then
decide, the other half
not worth thinking about, and
go out
into the city, with
trouble
following so close
behind, it
steps on my heels
whenever I halt.





Wayne F. Burke's poetry has been widely published in print and online (including in RYE WHISKEY REVIEW). He is author of 8 published poetry collections, one short story collection, and a non-fiction work titled HENRY MILLER, Spirit & Flesh (published by Cyberwit.net., 9/2022). He lives in Vermont.


No comments:

Post a Comment

My Old Self By Dan Provost

What I wouldn’t give to have us sitting in a bar again at 9:00 AM—Telling lies to one another, far from God.   Dan Provost's poetry has ...